Friday, September 4, 2009

Birthday Party Etiquette

As Sweet Pea's first birthday approaches, I'm starting to get a tad bit of anxiety over planning the whole thing. Should I create an itinerary? I want it to be perfect, for both Sweet Pea and her party attendees! I know its only a 2 hour event, but, still!

I plan on having the usual, you know...food, drinks, cake. But, therin lies another issue. What kind of cake can Sweet Pea have? What if she rubs icing in her eyes? When should we feed her? Should we feed her lunch first, then cake? Should she get cake last so when she's all covered in icing and cake crumbs we can just go home and get in the bath? These are things you just never think about till you have a kid!

Here's what I have in mind so far, please let me know what you think!
  • a slideshow
  • a table for the little ones with coloring books or some kind of activity (we attended a party last year where there was blank cookies and icing and sprinkles so you could decorate your own cookie, that was big fun!!! I may steal that idea, Jessica!)
  • blank scrapbook pages for the guests to write a note to Sweet Pea that I'll put in a scrapbook for her

But, and here's the big BUT, I'm thinking of not opening presents at the party. Do you think thats weird? Since she's only one, it would really be ME opening presents infront of everyone while Sweet Pea crawls around, gets tired and/or fussy. Would you be offended if you attended a birthday party and the presents didn't get opened at the party? Would you think the party isn't over until the presents get opened?

Input please!!!

1 comment:

  1. I actually think it's a good idea to NOT open presents...it makes sense!! Jovon

    ReplyDelete